RE: [SQL] Access and field sizes - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From John Ridout
Subject RE: [SQL] Access and field sizes
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Andrew,

MS Access considers false as 0 and true as -1.
I believe this is the source of your problem.
You could use a different PostgreSQL data type to store your MS Booleans
or define your own PostgreSQL data type.
I'll be defining my own datatype when I have time.
I'm in the process of writing an upsizing wizard for MS Access to PostgreSQL.
Please let me know of any other problems you run into
relating to upsizing MS Access to PostgreSQL.

John Ridout.

-----Original Message-----
From:    Andrew Perrin - Demography [SMTP:aperrin@demog.berkeley.edu]
Sent:    26 October 1999 00:49
To:    pgsql-sql@postgreSQL.org
Subject:    [SQL] Access and field sizes

Greetings-

I'm in the process of porting a database from Access to postgres, and have
run into a snag.  The snag involves boolean fields using checkboxes in
Access forms; they always return a useless Microsoftish error:

The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add.
Try inserting or pasting less data.

This happens when a checkbox is clicked to set a boolean value to True,
but not when it is clicked to set the value back to False.

Does anyone have any experience or idea where to go with this?

Thanks-
Andy Perrin

Andrew J. Perrin - aperrin@demog.berkeley.edu - NT/Unix Admin/Support
Department of Demography    -    University of California at Berkeley
2232 Piedmont Avenue #2120  -    Berkeley, California, 94720-2120 USA
http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin --------------------------SEIU1199