why i couldn't insert. . . - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From JT Kirkpatrick
Subject why i couldn't insert. . .
Date
List pgsql-sql
some of you last week and earlier this week may recall my problem of not
being able to insert into certain postgres tables (connecting through
access97 odbc).  plug your ears now. . . -- YIPPIE!  it finally works! thanks for all your help!  i thought i'd post
thismessage in case others

would benefit. . .

1) i was using forms that drew info from a query in access97, linked to
postgres tables.
2) i couldn't insert into the recordset!
3) 1st solution, the primary table i was inserting into (the query had a
few tables linked) did NOT have a primary key or otherwise unique index --
access97 must have that to edit or insert into the recordset!  i re-made
the table to include a primary key.
4) well, now i could open the table directly in access97 and insert
records, but not through the query!  what a pain. . . more brainracking and
postgres mailing list postings. . .
5) ah hah, somehow that stupid paper clip help guy in access97 helped me
(of course at first directed by an honorable member of this mailing list)
find the answer inside access97 help.  Even though you don't use the field
in your form, the primary key of the table being inserted into MUST be
present in the underlying query.  a simple drag and drop and all things are
sunny (even though it has been raining here in Chattanooga TN usa for days.
. .).

hey, i'd do a better job if they asked me to document this stuff for an
odbc driver manual, but in the meantime, i hope this will help others as
many more have helped me!

jt kirkpatrick

(look herouth, no null character! -- i just turned off WORD as my email
editor.  ah but soon i'll be solely in kde on linux. . .)