AW: [HACKERS] crash on new system views - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Zeugswetter
Subject AW: [HACKERS] crash on new system views
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > I guess it would be nice if views could show the original oid for all
> > non join or single table views.
>
>     IMHO, then the oid should be included as part of the view
> definition itself...even on a join operation, having the OID might be
> useful...consider a case where you have a join of two tables such that the
> select is something like:
>
> select a.oid,a.field,b.field where a.field=b.field;
>
>     Having a.oid means that later I can just do:
>
> select * from <view> where oid = <oid#>;
>
>     But I think the person setting up the view should be the one
> explicitly including the oid value, not the system "guessing"...

While I perfectly understand your argument, I see a disadvantage, that the above
will show the oid column with the select * while on the original table the oid is hidden.

But besides:
regression=> create view tables as select oid, relname as tabname from pg_class;
ERROR:  create: system attribute named "oid"

which is perfectly OK I think.

Andreas