Re: [HACKERS] Re: Open portability issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Zeugswetter
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: Open portability issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Should we be poking around in /usr/local by default?  Comments?

>    No...unless someone can point me at a package that explicitly goes
> out and looking /usr/local.  I've yet to have a problem with any package
> I've installed not being able to find libraries and include files that are
> installed in /usr/local ... if someone is having a problem, they should be
> directed to look at *fixing* their system in the first place, as they are
> definitely going to have more problems then just with PostgreSQL...

Ok, just something to grumble on.
1. It did find /usr/local headers with a snapshot from about a month ago but not libs
2. a lot of the templates have SRCH_INC:/usr/local/include SRCH_LIB:/usr/local/lib
    why that if it is supposed to be in the compiler config ?

Even if I add those lines to the AIX template, configure won't find my
/usr/local/include/readline/readline.h. (the --with-libs works fine :-)

I think SRCH_INC:/usr/local/include SRCH_LIB:/usr/local/lib must be taken out of template/aix_42
since it is not a standard AIX path, and therefore won't be available on every system (I thought I deleted
those before sending in the file, Sorry)

I don't know how to do the Makefile and dynloader stuff, since $os will be aix
the Makefile.aix and aix.c dynloader will be used which is wrong.
Maybe the dynloader step could be done conditionally only if -ldl is not found by configure ?

Andreas