AW: [HACKERS] Dropping tables... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Zeugswetter
Subject AW: [HACKERS] Dropping tables...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vadim Mikheev wrote:

> Andreas Zeugswetter wrote:
> >
> > I would say allow the drop table, of course only if no update or
> > intent update (select for update) lock is on it.
> > This is how Informix behaves. Otherwise it will become very
> > hard to drop tables altogether.
>
> Ok, currently, table can't be dropped if SELECTed by another
> running transaction.
>
> Would we like to change this ?!

No, I think this is ok. I thought the current behavior was that a selecter won't
do a lock, and therefore drop table would work and wanted to give an argument to leave it as is.
I regard a drop table to be seldom used, e.g. at product installations or upgrades.

Andreas