AW: AW: [HACKERS] attlen weirdness? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas
Subject AW: AW: [HACKERS] attlen weirdness?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Right now: yes, but I would like to see the char() type changed to a fixed length type (which it really is)
> then it would have the length in attlen. Right now the length for char and varchar is in atttypmod.

Again, we can do this, but we then have to have atttypmod available in
all places where we check for length.  I will add it to the TODO list.

I am starting to see the problem, only atttypmod is passed around not attlen.
Therefore even if we do this, the char() length of a column still has to be in atttypmod.
So it will stay the same for Julie, whether it is taken out or not. But since it is really
hard for a generic application like ODBC, maybe we could change atttypmod to not
include the VARHDRSZ, most of the time it is needed without VARHDRSZ anyway ?
I am starting to think that this would be more important than to remove the 4 bytes.

Andreas