Re: [proposal] recovery_target "latest" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Grigory Smolkin
Subject Re: [proposal] recovery_target "latest"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/7/19 8:36 AM, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> At Thu, 7 Nov 2019 02:28:39 +0300, Grigory Smolkin <g.smolkin@postgrespro.ru> wrote in

>>> Currently it will behave just like regular standby, so I think, to
>>> avoid confusion and keep things simple, the combination of them should
>>> be prohibited.
>>> Thank you for pointing this out, I will work on it.
>> Attached new patch revision, now it is impossible to use
>> recovery_target 'latest' in standby mode.
>> TAP test is updated to reflect this behavior.
> In the first place, latest (or anything it could be named as) is
> defined as the explit label for the default behavior. Thus the latest
> should work as if nothing is set to recovery_target* following the
> definition.  That might seems somewhat strange but I think at least it
> is harmless.

Well, it was more about getting default behavior by using some explicit
recovery_target, not the other way around. Because it will break some
3rd party backup and replication applications, that may rely on old
behavior of ignoring recovery_target_action when no recovery_target is
provided.
But you think that it is worth pursuing, I can do that.

> recovery_target=immediate + r_t_action=shutdown for a standby works as
> commanded. Do we need to inhibit that, too?

Why something, that work as expected, should be inhibited?

--
Grigory Smolkin
The Russian Postgres Company