Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Igor Kovalenko
Subject Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ahh... you want a named semaphore... There is such a thing in POSIX but it
is only portable if their names begin with "/" (which tells OS to put it
where appropriate). I believe without leading slash they end up in current
directory, but we can't rely on that... too bad. Glad UDS it is getting
supported on my platform, lol ;)

This will however leave QNX4 in the dust, if anyone cares. And most likely
BeOS, MP/X and half dozen other platforms. Which prompts me to think if it
would not be better to come up with a platform independent 'namespace sync'
mechanism. Can't we use fcntl()-based lock for that purpose? That's what
apache is doing apparently (one of variants).

-- igor