Re: Performance Woes - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ralph Mason
Subject Re: Performance Woes
Date
List pgsql-performance
>To me, that means that his machine is allowing the new FD to be created,
>but then can't really support that many so it gives an error.

files-max is 297834
ulimit is 1000000

(doesn't make sense but there you go)

What I don’t really understand is with max_files_per_process at 800 we don't
get the problem, but with 1000 we do.

$lsof | wc -l
14944

$cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
12240   0       297834

>Ralph, how many connections do you have open at once? It seems like the
>machine perhaps just can't handle that many FDs in all of those
>processes at once.

There are only 30 connections - of those probably only 10 are really active.
It doesn't seem like we should be stressing this machine/

>That is a lot of tables. Maybe a different OS will handle it better?
>Maybe there's some way that you can use fewer connections and then the
>OS could still handle it?

It would be less but then you can't maintain the db b/c of the constant
vacuuming needed :-(  I think the linux folks would get up in arms if you
told them they couldn't handle that many open files ;-)

Thanks,
Ralph

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.