Re: Calendar Scripts - Quite a complex one - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Calendar Scripts - Quite a complex one
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi all;

If I understand Kumar's post correctly, he is having some question relating
to the issue of even recurrance.  I would highly suggest reading the
ICalendar RFC (RFC 2445) as it has some interesting ideas on the subject.
HERMES (my app with appointment/calendar functionality) doesn't yet support
appointment recurrance, and I have not formalized my approach to this.
However, here is the general approach I have been looking at:

1: Have a separate table of recurrance rules (1:1 with appointments) or have
a recurrance datatype.

2: Build some functions to calculate dates and times when the appointment
would recurr.  You can also have a "Recur Until" field so you can limit your
searches this way.

3:  Use a view to find recurring appointments on any given day.

This avoids a very nasty problem in the prepopulation approach-- that of a
cancelled recurring meeting.  How do you cancel ALL appropriate instances of
the meeting while leaving those that occured in the past available for
records?

Kumar-- if you are working with PHP, I would be happy to work with you in
this endevor so that the same functionality can exist in my open source
(GPL'd) application.  I think that the source for this would likely be one
of those things that might be best LGPL'd if added to my app.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers