Follow Up: How to properly build postgresql version 7.2 on Unix Platforms? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andre' Blanchard
Subject Follow Up: How to properly build postgresql version 7.2 on Unix Platforms?
Date
List pgsql-general
Greetings:

This an update to the following request:

Curiously enough, a lot of other people manage to do it; and our
platform FAQs for those platforms do enumerate the known pitfalls.

Perhaps you could be specific about exactly what problems you're having.

            regards, tom lane

I have reviewed the FAQ files in the doc hierarchy, and in each instance
there is nothing to reference the problems which follow.

Our resources:

Ant
Java
tcl 8.3.3

Problem 1:

Solaris Platform - If we build with 1). the Solaris C
compiler(/opt/SUNWspro/SC4.0/bin/cc) and 2). the with-obdc option in
configure, you will encounter a multiply defined symbol error during the
compilation.  Bug # 584 has been submitted for this.

Problem 2: HP UX 11.0 Platform - If we build with 1). the HP ansi C
compiler, debug builds will cause compiler to generate a segmentation
violation when building /src/backend/access/heap/heapam.c

Bug #587:  Postgresql will not build on HP-UX 11.0 in debugmode has been
submitted for this

Another problem exists on HP when selecting version 2.95.3 of the gcc
compiler : compiler warnings will be generated for the following section of
configure

2511: checking how to run the C++ preprocessor which causes this check to
fail

In file included from /usr/include/pwd.h:79,
                 from
/opt/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00/2.95.3/include/stdlib.h:352,
                 from configure:2525:
/opt/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00/2.95.3/include/stdio.h:30:
warning: `__va__list' redefined
/opt/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00/2.95.3/include/stdlib.h:28:
warning: this is the location of the previous definition

This in turn forces the configure script to choose the default /lib/cpp,
which on HP will not work.  This check should provide a means to ignore
warnings which do not impact the choice of g++ as a valid C++ preprocessor.

Problem 3: AIX 4.3.3 with VisualAge 5.0 - Whether we build with gcc or xlc,
the build will fail when it cannot locate our tcl 8.3.3 shared library
resources (which in our build environment are not located in /usr/local)

Bug #588 Postgresql will not build on AIX; cannot locate tcl library has
been filed for this.

Regarding my original query: I would speculate that the majority of the
users of postgresql probably employ the gcc compiler, and when built with
tcl resources, these tend to be located in /usr/local (as opposed to another
location)