question on setof record returning plpgsql function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Julie May
Subject question on setof record returning plpgsql function
Date
List pgsql-general
I have 90% of my function working and I know to get the next 10% it is just a matter of getting the quotations and the escaping quotations correct. Here is the portion that does work:

<working code>

-- Function: public.get_factory_ytd()
CREATE or replace FUNCTION public.get_factory_ytd() RETURNS setof record AS '
declare
       ytd_record record;
       d_date record;
begin
  for d_date in select distinct delivery_date from load_info_table order by delivery_date asc loop
      for ytd_record in execute
      ''select sum(clean_weight)/sum(dirty_weight) as tare from load_info_table where delivery_date <= ''''''||d_date.delivery_date|| '''''''' loop
      return next ytd_record ;
    end loop;
  end loop;
 return;
end'  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

</working code>

What I would like to do is also return the date that is assigned to d_date for the current iteration of the first loop. The following code does not work. I either get one of three error messages depending on how many quote marks I use (unterminated string, error with $1, or unexpected return type). And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Julie

<not working code>
-- Function: public.get_factory_ytd()
CREATE or replace FUNCTION public.get_factory_ytd() RETURNS setof record AS '
declare
       ytd_record record;
       d_date record;
begin
  for d_date in select distinct delivery_date from load_info_table order by delivery_date asc loop
      for ytd_record in execute
      ''select sum(clean_weight)/sum(dirty_weight) as tare, ''''''||d_date.delivery_date|| '''''' from load_info_table where delivery_date <= ''''''||d_date.delivery_date|| '''''''' loop
      return next ytd_record ;
    end loop;
  end loop;
 return;