RE: About Unicode IVS - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From 荒井元成
Subject RE: About Unicode IVS
Date
List pgsql-admin
thank you for your reply.

In SQL Server, the variant character selector is treated as one character with two characters. The collation order is
Japanese_XJIS_140_CS_AS_KS_WS_VSS_UTF8.

Moto.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2022 7:26 PM
To: Holger Jakobs <holger@jakobs.com>
Cc: pgsql-admin@lists.postgresql.org; n2029@ndensan.co.jp
Subject: Re: About Unicode IVS

Holger Jakobs <holger@jakobs.com> writes:
> It's totally correct that the two characters are still two characters.
> You would have to normalize the string first, so that the combination
> becomes one character.

Yeah.  In principle the normalize() function ought to do this for you.  But it doesn't seem to shorten the given
examplefor me; I'm not sure if that means the example is incorrect, or if it's a bug in normalize().

u8=# select octet_length(U&'\+008FBA' || U&'\+0E0102');  octet_length
            7
(1 row)

u8=# select octet_length(normalize(U&'\+008FBA' || U&'\+0E0102'));  octet_length
            7
(1 row)

            regards, tom lane