Problems with local alphabet - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Nikola Milutinovic
Subject Problems with local alphabet
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi.

I have PostgreSQL 7.1.3 and the latest JDBC driver installed. PostgreSQL has Unicode support built in.

I have loaded a table with some text data containing "enhanced" ASCII encoded as Windows CP-1250. A bad move, I guess,
butthat is what I had...

JDBC yields "?" in place of any of our local alphabet characters. I understand Java uses Unicode and that is fine. I
guessdata must be Unicode encoded or no-go occurs. I have been told that there are "Latin-2 (ISO-8859-2) <-> Unicode"
conversionfunctions, but cannot find them.

My plan is to convert cp-1250 to ISO-8859-2 and then to Unicode.

Can someone help me with this task? Some advice, at least.

Nix.