Re :MySQL Benchmark page - Problem with vacuum() in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark kirkwood
Subject Re :MySQL Benchmark page - Problem with vacuum() in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Dear all,

Please humour me if this is a silly comment , or has been made before  -
but....

when Monty posted the original message I had a few thoughts  - ........

I understand that there is a issue with

loop many times
  perform a set a updates/inserts
  run vauuum
end loop

I would not peform a test this way.... let Postgresql MVCC sort out the
relevant rows to manage... so run vacuum once only....after all on a real
system you try to minimize the number of times vacuum ( or its related
equivalents in other dbms's - e.g : analyze ) are run ( as they are typically
expensive ).

So I guess I am saying that if the Benchmark requires multiple runs of vacuum
/ analyze type functions then maybe the design of the benchmark should be
examined a bit...

regards

Mark