Feature request for 7.x - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Finn
Subject Feature request for 7.x
Date
List pgsql-general
Can

'create or replace' statement syntax to the creation of procedures.

If I have a number of references (eg. triggers) to a single proc and I want
to change the proc (either due to a bug, or because I am treating it as a
business object) I need to hunt down and drop all the references because the
reference uses the proc's OID which will change when it is dropped, moditied,
and added.  If references are not fixed then any row mod which would invoke a
trigger will blow.

If there was a simple way to extend the language to use 'create or replace'
then when the proc is replaced it would be done with the same OID as the
original and all would be well (wouldn't it?).

P.S.  I'm just posting this to see if one of the experts could achieve this
fairly easily (and safely).  I would offer to help code but I really don't
have the skill.  I will, however, volunteer to help test it should someone
undertake the code change.

Mike.

Mike Finn
Tactical Executive Systems