Re: How Postgresql Compares For Query And Load Operations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark kirkwood
Subject Re: How Postgresql Compares For Query And Load Operations
Date
List pgsql-general
> If Oracle really is doing a sort, it's hard to see where the speed
> difference came from --- unless you have set the tuning parameters such
> that Oracle does the sort all-in-memory whereas Postgres doesn't.  Sorts
> that have to go to disk are lots slower.

I redid the tests ensuring everybody used 10M sort area... nothing was
significantly altered !! ( altho Postgres moved in towards the big boys on
the first 3 queries and the elapsed time for queries 4 & 5 converged )

> Hmm, I couldn't make out from your webpage exactly how you did the
> used COPY, which is good ... but did you create the indexes before or
> after COPY?  What about the constraints?  I also see a CLUSTER script
> --- was this used, and if so where is its time counted?
>
>             regards, tom lane

My apologies for the state of the scripts ( to all you who downloaded them
for a play)  - I had forgotten to complete the README and also left heaps of
test files lying about in the query directory. I have cleaned these up now !

The story is... the comparison was supposed to be simple... so no special
features ( like clustered indexes/tables, bitmap indexes, materialized views,
automatic summary tables...) just a comparison of how well each db did its
"bread and butter"  operations.