Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer
Date
Responses Re: Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer  (Shaun Thomas <sthomas@townnews.com>)
Re: Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer  (Matt Beauregard <matt@designscape.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

Am doing some work with sequences at the moment, and I'm finding it would be
useful to have sequences which use an increment amount decided by a function
call, instead of just a straight integer amount (as we presently do).

For my example, I'd use this to add random positive increments (specifically
to avoid easy predictability of the sequence), but it would be quite flexible.

i.e. CREATE SEQUENCE newseq INCREMENT trunc(random() * 10);

Could do the same for the START, MINVALUE and MAXVALUE parameters also.

Would others also benefit from this alteration?  If so, we might like to ask
for it to be added to Bruce's TODO list.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift