Re: Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt Beauregard
Subject Re: Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer
Date
In response to Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer  (Justin Clift <aa2@bigpond.net.au>)
Responses Re: Suggested improvement : Adjust SEQUENCES to accept an INCREMENT of functionname(parameters) instead of an integer  (Justin Clift <aa2@bigpond.net.au>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 12:43:32PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> For my example, I'd use this to add random positive increments (specifically
> to avoid easy predictability of the sequence), but it would be quite flexible.
>
> Would others also benefit from this alteration?  If so, we might like to ask
> for it to be added to Bruce's TODO list.

We would like a way to increment sequences by a random amount, to add
some spice to order number generation and such.  However it's never
made it up the priorities list high enough for us to work out how it
might be done.  As someone suggested, a trigger might take care of it.

--
Matt Beauregard
Technical Director, Designscape

Permission is given for unlimited distribution of this work under the
Copyright Act 1968 (2001 amended).  Unless otherwise stated, you agree
that these terms also cover works which you send in response.