Re: Re: PL/Python build - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Hollomon
Subject Re: Re: PL/Python build
Date
Re: Re: PL/Python build  (Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 10 May 2001 14:29, Joel Burton wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 May 2001, Mark Hollomon wrote:
> >
> > Be careful. That will only work if the static library contains
> > relocatable code so that the entire resulting library 'plpython.so' can
> > be loaded dynamically. From what I can tell, this is true on Linux, but
> > not on say HPUX. _That_ was the sticky point with pl/perl.
>

> Mark -- Would it be possible to use a static python.a to create plpython,
> w/o trying to link it to the modules that author includes (hashing, etc),
> to create a core-python-only plpython?

No. The problem is that the code in python.a is not (necessarily) relocatable.
And if it isn't, it can't go into a shared library.

Appently GCC on an i86/Elf based Linux platform, compiles _all_ code as
relocatable. So you can get alway with all kinds of stuff. But at least on
HPUX, the vendor compiler does not create relocatable objects unless
specifically asked to do so. And as a rule no-one does unless they are
creating a shared library.

--
Mark Hollomon