Re: Re: PL/Python build - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Hollomon
Subject Re: Re: PL/Python build
Date
Re: Re: PL/Python build  (andrew@corvus.biomed.brown.edu (Andrew Bosma))
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 09 May 2001 19:02, Joel Burton wrote:

> One of the small problems of pl/python is going to similar to pl/perl...
> many linux distro's don't come with a shared object library for python,
> but come w/a static library only.
>
> pl/python will work w/a static library (if you uncomment the lines in the
> makefile to link all the modules against it directly); we can add a line
> to the faq about where packages, if any, are for python.so.

Be careful. That will only work if the static library contains relocatable
code so that the entire resulting library 'plpython.so' can be loaded
dynamically. From what I can tell, this is true on Linux, but not on say HPUX.
_That_ was the sticky point with pl/perl.

--
Mark Hollomon