Re: A Better Way? (Multi-Left Join Lookup) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: A Better Way? (Multi-Left Join Lookup)
Date
List pgsql-general

OK.

So,

EXPLAIN SELECT function_call(...)  -- yields a planner expectation of 1 row

[Whereas]

EXPLAIN SELECT * FROM function_call(...) -- yields a planner expectation of
"result_rows" which defaults to 1000

The syntax:

SELECT function_call(field_on_another_relation)
    FROM another_relation

Is convenient in order to avoid...

SELECT * FROM function_call(
    (SELECT field_on_another_relation FROM another_relation)
    );

...especially when you need multiple fields from "another_relation"

I guess I get the idea that a function used "inline" is generally going to
return a single result and so the estimate of "1" is most probable.

May I suggest, then, that the CREATE FUNCTION documentation for "ROWS
result_rows" be modified:

Something like:

"The default assumption is 1,000 rows if the function is called in the FROM
clause of a query.  If it is called anywhere else (e.g., the Select List)
the assumption is 1 row regardless of an explicit or default ROWS estimate."

Was this an intentional design decision to override the result_rows estimate
of the function if it is used in the select list?  I get the general
reasoning behind it and do not know enough regarding the internals to make a
judgement but if intentional could it maybe be a little smarter as to when
the override occurs?  Obviously the ideal solution is to implement
LATERAL...

FYI:  I included the following section in the query I provided because I
suspected the function call may have been the issue...

, master_listing AS (

SELECT

    -- identifier fields

    FROM (
        SELECT (func).* FROM (
            SELECT fuction_generating_8500_records(...)
--<<<<< Use of function in Select List; results in the 1-row estimate.
1,000 rows triggers the "MERGE LEFT JOIN" plan
            ) func
            FROM scenario_info
         ) call
    ) master (function_column_rename)