Re: [SQL] Query from multiple tables... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Sawtell
Subject Re: [SQL] Query from multiple tables...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:46, Diehl, Jeffrey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a database, that because of the size of the data, I have separated
> on day's worth of data into it's own table.

postgreSQL will manage absolutely huge tables without problems.
( 2GB, & 4GB with that file size setting in the kernel )
Why do you have to cut the data into smaller tables?

> I have a separate table for
> each of, say, 30 days.  I would like to write a query that will query the
> last 15 days worth of tables.  Can this be done?

No problem, if you leave the data in one table.

> I tried to use a view; that didn't work.  I tried to use the union clause;
> that didn't allow me to do group by...
>
> Is there a better way than to have my program rewrite the sql on the fly?

you can issue queries direct from the shell script which would allow you to
use shell variables to hold the date datum.

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
 CNOTES     ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 -->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to me <<--