Re: One long transaction or multiple short transactions? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Carlo
Subject Re: One long transaction or multiple short transactions?
Date
Re: One long transaction or multiple short transactions?
List pgsql-performance

>> How many cores do you have on that machine?

Test if limiting number of simultaneous feeds, like bringing their number down to half of your normal connections has the same positive effect.

<<

I am told 32 cores on a LINUX VM. The operators have tried limiting the number of threads. They feel that the number of connections is optimal. However, under the same conditions they noticed a sizable boost in performance if the same import was split into two successive imports which had shorter transactions.

I am just looking to see if there is any reason to think that lock contention (or anything else) over longer vs. shorter single-row-write transactions under the same conditions might explain this.

Carlo