Re: Restoring from SQL dump - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Erin Jonaitis
Subject Re: Restoring from SQL dump
Date
List pgsql-novice
HAH! Mike got it in one -- I didn't realize that I had to open a new
terminal window for changes in %path% to take hold. And here I assumed it
was because I wasn't logged in as an admin. Thanks, Mike! My next restore
will be less hairy because of you!

Erin

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-novice-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Michael Swierczek
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2013 10:20 AM
To: Erin Jonaitis
Cc: PostgreSQL Novice
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Restoring from SQL dump

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Erin Jonaitis <jonaitis@wisc.edu> wrote:
> I tried to follow Anathasios' advice about setting the path variable,
> but on
> Windows7 this seems a bit opaque; I did add my PostgreSQL \bin
> directory to the Path variable through Control Panel (and I've checked
> my spelling three times), but I still have to be in that directory to
> run the program, strangely. So Ken's example here, of how to give a
> full pathname for a command that isn't in one of the %path% directories,
is super useful.

Forgive me for asking the obvious question, but did you close and re-open
your command prompt?  Changes in the Path aren't detected
until you do that.   To check, do "echo %PATH%" (without the double
quotes), and it should print what you have for Path in the current command
prompt.

> To import it. (I say "it worked" optimistically because it is actually
> doing something, but there've been some periods where that "something"
> is "hanging" so we're not out of the woods yet.)

Depending upon the speed of your computer and the size and schema of your
database, the load process can take a long time.  On slower disks with a
database that was just a few hundred MB when uncompressed, the
load process would sit at certain steps for over an hour for me.   If
you got that far, you're probably fine and all you have to do is wait.

-Mike