Re: Object description at Client Window - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Kumar
Subject Re: Object description at Client Window
Date
List pgsql-sql
But I have get into another problem. While I execute the following command I
could get the result as U can see below

etgsuite=# SELECT a.attname,format_type(a.atttypid, a.atttypmod),
a.attnotnull, a.atthasd
ef, a.attnum
FROM pg_class c, pg_attribute a
WHERE c.relname = 'companies'
AND a.attnum > 0 AND a.attrelid = c.oid
ORDER BY a.attnum;     attname       |         format_type         | attnotnull | atthasdef |
attnum
--------------------+-----------------------------+------------+-----------+
--------company_id         | bigint                      | t          | t         |
1name               | character varying(100)      | f          | f         |
2website            | character varying(50)       | f          | f         |
3address1           | character varying(100)      | f          | f         |
4address2           | character varying(100)      | f          | f         |
5city               | character varying(50)       | f          | f         |
6state              | character varying(50)       | t          | f         |
7postal_code        | character varying(30)       | t          | f         |
8country            | character varying(50)       | t          | f         |
9account_manager_id | bigint                      | t          | f         |
10primary_contact_id | bigint                      | t          | f         |
11company_type_id    | bigint                      | t          | f         |
12status_flag        | bigint                      | f          | f         |
13lead_source        | bigint                      | f          | f         |
14lead_date          | timestamp without time zone | f          | f         |
15industry_type      | bigint                      | f          | f         |
16rec_modifier_id    | bigint                      | t          | f         |
17rec_created_date   | timestamp without time zone | t          | f         |  18rec_modified_date  | timestamp without
timezone | f          | f         |

19rec_deleted_flag   | character(1)                | t          | f         |
20
(20 rows)

So I tried to create a plpgsql function as follows to return these for all
the table name. So I have created a function like this

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.desc_table(varchar) RETURNS refcursor AS
'DECLARE

ref                         REFCURSOR ;
p_tablename                 ALIAS FOR $1;

BEGIN
OPEN ref FORSELECT a.attname, format_type(a.atttypid, a.atttypmod), a.attnotnull, a.atthasdef, a.attnumFROM pg_class c,
pg_attributeaWHERE c.relname = p_tablenameAND a.attnum > 0AND a.attrelid = c.oidORDER BY a.attnum;

RETURN ref;
END;' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

While trying to execute this
select desc_table('companies');

I got the following error.
WARNING:  Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function desc_table
WARNING:  line 7 at open

ERROR:  Unable to identify an operator '=' for types 'name' and 'character
varying'You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

I have write many functions of the same structure and executed with out
problems. Where I am doing wrong here.

Please shed some light.

Regards
Kumar