Re: OO / fe-be protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kardos, Dr. Andreas
Subject Re: OO / fe-be protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
As an alternative you might consider XDR (RFC 1832, RFC 1014).

http://landfield.com/rfcs/rfc1832.html
http://landfield.com/rfcs/rfc1014.html

We are using this since many years. It is quite effective. XDR is available
on a lot of platforms (on QNX too).

In short:
The data structures/unions to be transfered between different platforms must
be defined in a normal C header. This header has to be proceeded by the tool
rpcgen. This rpcgen tool generates encoding/decoding functions for these
structures. These functions can than be called in the code before send and
after receive to encode/decode message buffers.

No things like ORBs etc. are required.

Regards,
Andreas Kardos