R: repeated out of shared memory error - not related to max_locks_per_transaction - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Alfonso Moscato
Subject R: repeated out of shared memory error - not related to max_locks_per_transaction
Date
List pgsql-admin
I experimented a lot with shared buffers, but I haven't seen any difference.
With shared_buffers set to 16 gb I start seeing errors after one day and
half, and with 40gb they start exactly at the same moment.
One would expect that if something is consuming shared memory, setting it to
more than double should make some difference, but this isn't the case.
Alfonso

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Campbell, Lance <lance@illinois.edu>
Inviato: venerdì 20 luglio 2018 14:33
A: Alfonso Moscato <alfonso.moscato@merqurio.it>
Cc: pgsql-admin@lists.postgresql.org
Oggetto: Re: repeated out of shared memory error - not related to
max_locks_per_transaction

I would also lookup the definition of shared buffers and effective cache.
If I remember correctly you can think of shared buffers as how much memory
total PostgreSQL has to work with.  Effective cache is how much memory is
available for PostgreSQL to run, shared buffers, as well as an estimate of
how much memory is available to the OS to cache files in memory.  So
effective cache should be equal to or larger than shared buffers.  Effective
cache is used to help with the SQL planning.

Double check the documentation.

Lance

Sent from my iPad