Re: string concatenation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gyorgy Molnar
Subject Re: string concatenation
Date
List pgsql-general
> > I got an empty string for result. I think I got this result because the
> > string concatenation ("||") was created with "isstrict" flag. In this
case
> > it will give back NULL object if one of the arguments was NULL object.
>
> Actually, you got back a NULL, not an empty string.  There is a big
> difference (even if Oracle confuses the two concepts).
>
> > Is this feature will change in the future?
>
> No.  That's what the SQL standard says to do, and that's what we plan to
> keep doing.  You can make your own nonstandard concatenation function
> if you feel like it, though.

I see. I think the best way if I make my own concatenation operator and use
it as a temporary fix. In the long-run the best way to avoid this kind of
problems by desing at the beginning of the projects.
Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,
Yuri