Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mitch Vincent
Subject Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2
Date
List pgsql-general
> and vacuum takes just a very few seconds a day.  I think I recall hearing
on
> this list of it taking a minute or three for databases several gigabytes
in
> size.  For some sites this would be tolerable, for others it wouldn't.

It depends more on user activity and number/size of indexes than over all
database size from what I've seen.. In one database I have 20ish tables,
some have 70,000ish records but the whole database isn't very big -- VACUUM
takes a while because of the amount of UPDATE'd and DELETE'd records I have
every day, and the number of indexes (lots!)....