Re: adding fields - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Heather Johnson
Subject Re: adding fields
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi Jodi--

No, you shouldn't have to go to that amount of trouble. Try this instead (change the name of the table, the default value, the column name, and the column type to suit your needs):

BEGIN WORK;
LOCK TABLE table_adding_stuff_to IN ACCESS EXCLUSIVE MODE;

ALTER TABLE table_adding_stuff_to ADD COLUMN new_column_name COLUMNTYPE;
ALTER TABLE table_adding_stuff_to ALTER COLUMN new_column_name SET DEFAULT 'default value';

COMMIT WORK;

Then you can do:

BEGIN WORK;
UPDATE table_adding_stuff_to SET new_column_name = 'default value';
COMMIT WORK;

Heather