Re: [GENERAL] 'value too long' and before insert/update trigger - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Charles Clavadetscher
Subject Re: [GENERAL] 'value too long' and before insert/update trigger
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

If there is no good reason to force the length of the field to be a maximum of 20 characters, you may change the data
typeto text.

> I was hoping to emulate the Informix behaviour by creating triggers to run before each insert/update that would
> check the length of the values being saved and truncate if too long. However I'm still getting the error messages.
> Presumably the length validation is being done before the trigger is run. Is there some way this could be changed so
> the trigger happens first?

When you create the trigger you can define if the function must be called before or after the action.

Something like:

CREATE TRIGGER name
BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON table_name
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE ...;

In the function you must then replace the value of the string before you return the NEW record to the calling process:

[...]

NEW.variable_name := substr(NEW.variable_name,1,20);

[...]

RETURN NEW;

Hope this helps.
Bye