Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
Date
Re: RFC: adding pytest as a supported test framework
List pgsql-hackers

On 2024-06-10 Mo 16:04, Andres Freund wrote:
Hi,

Just for context for the rest the email: I think we desperately need to move
off perl for tests. The infrastructure around our testing is basically
unmaintained and just about nobody that started doing dev stuff in the last 10
years learned perl.

Andres,

I get that you don't like perl. But it's hard for me to take this terribly seriously. "desperately" seems like massive overstatement at best. As for what up and coming developers learn, they mostly don't learn C either, and that's far more critical to what we do.

I'm not sure what part of the testing infrastructure you think is unmaintained. For example, the last release of Test::Simple was all the way back on April 25.

Maybe there are some technical superiorities about what Jacob is proposing, enough for us to add it to our armory. I'll keep an open mind on that.

But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Quite apart from anything else, a wholesale rework of the test infrastructure would make backpatching more painful.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan