Re: Help, 400 million rows, query slow, I stopped after 5 days - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Christian Hofmann
Subject Re: Help, 400 million rows, query slow, I stopped after 5 days
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hello Tom,

Thank you for you fast answer.

> What PG version is this, and what do you have sort_mem set to?

I am running 8.1.1 on Windows Server 2003 web edition.

Regarding "Memor" these two values are the onliest that are set:

shared_buffers = 1000            # min 16 or max_connections*2, 8KB
each
#temp_buffers = 40000            # min 100, 8KB each
#max_prepared_transactions = 5        # can be 0 or more
# note: increasing max_prepared_transactions costs ~600 bytes of shared
memory
# per transaction slot, plus lock space (see max_locks_per_transaction).
work_mem = 650240            # min 64, size in KB

> Increasing sort_mem to a few hundred meg should help, assuming the
> server can spare that much RAM.

Maybe decreasing work_mem to 50000 and setting sort_mem to 600000 would
help.
But where can I find the sort_mem? In postgresql.conf is nothing with that
keyword :-(

> There are no bitmap indexes in Postgres...

The index is using "USING btree", I thought it was a kind of bitmap index.
But I think it is a binary tree then :-)

Thank you,

Christian