Need for advice and direction (again) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gevik Babakhani
Subject Need for advice and direction (again)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Tom,

I would like to know your opinion about the way we should refer to composite
type params in functions.
For example:

CREATE TABLE emp (   name        text,   salary      numeric,   age         integer,   cubicle     point
);

CREATE FUNCTION double_salary(emp) RETURNS numeric AS $$   SELECT $1.salary * 2 AS salary;
$$ LANGUAGE SQL;

How should we refer to emp in the following example.

CREATE FUNCTION double_salary(PARAM1 emp) RETURNS numeric AS $$
-- At this moment PARAM1.salary will fail because PARAM1     -- is compared to the name of this function  SELECT
PARAM1.salary* 2 AS salary;

-- Would this be correct?SELECT double_salary.PARAM1.salary * 2 AS salary;

$$ LANGUAGE SQL;

Regards,
Gevik.

Gevik Babakhani