Re: can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dale Harris
Subject Re: can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully
Date
Re: can't get UPDATE ... RETURNING ... INTO ... to compile successfully
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

In the following documentation it advises that the UPDATE statement should
be able to return a value into a variable in plpgsql.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-statements.html

It works for the INSERT command, but not UPDATE.  For the INSERT command, it
makes my code look neater and I image it's more efficient too.

This time I am trying to UPDATE a field using a primary key, and return
another field into a variable so that I can take necessary action if
required later in the plpgsql script.  I know that I can issue another
SELECT query to retrieve the information, but I would have thought it would
be a lot more efficient to return the value during the UPDATE.

Regards,

Dale.