Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro
Subject Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> > On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 06:51, mlw wrote:
> > > I just think there is sufficient evidence to suggest that if a DBA
creates an
> > > index, there is strong evidence (better than statistics) that the
index need be
> > > used. In the event that an index exists, there is a strong indication
that,
> > > without overwhelming evidence, that the index should be used. You have
admitted
> > > that statistics suck, but the existence of an index must weight
(heavily) on
> > > the evaluation on whether or not to use an index.

On my own few experience I think this could be solved decreasing
random_page_cost, if you would prefer to use indexes than seq scans, then
you can lower random_page_cost to a point in which postgres works as you
want. So the planner would prefer indexes when in standard conditions it
would prefer seq scans.

Regards