Re: Expression alias not recognized in WHERE clause (ERROR: relation "p" does not exist) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Expression alias not recognized in WHERE clause (ERROR: relation "p" does not exist)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 9, 2012, at 7:32, Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have two (hopefully) equivalent - and unfortunately very slow - queries which
> "Select all buildings that have >1 pharmacies and >1 schools within 1000m".
>
> In the first query there is an expression alias "b" and in the second
> there are two expression aliases: "b" and "p".
>
> Can someone tell me, why expression alias "p" is *not* recognized in
> the WHERE clause - whereas alias "b" is (parantheses missing)?

The subqueries can make use of values attached to the outer (aliased) relation but you cannot use the alias itself as a
FROMsource.  The error is stemming from your use of "FROM p" inside the WHERE.

> And, has anyone an idea on how to reformulate this second query?

Use a common table expression (CTE) (sql command: WITH).  Those can be attached to any FROM clause in the query.