Re: left outer join on more than 2 tables? (UNCLASSIFIED) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Hall, Crystal M CTR DISA JITC
Subject Re: left outer join on more than 2 tables? (UNCLASSIFIED)
List pgsql-sql

From: pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:00 PM
To: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: [SQL] left outer join on more than 2 tables?

city:
id
city_name
region_id

complaint:
id
date
city_id

I would like to find the counts of complaints by region and I would like
all regions to be displayed, regardless of whether or not complaints
exist for that region. Is left outer join what I'm looking for?
I'm stuck at this point:
select r.region_name, count(1) from region r left outer join city c,
complaint k on (k.city_id = c.id and r.id = c.region_id) group by
r.region_name Of course this doesn't work ...
Can anyone provide their insight as to how I can achieve this?

Thanks in advance,