Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bryan White
Subject Re: VACUUM, 24/7 availability and 7.2
Date
List pgsql-general
> The runtime seems to be dependent on what hind of activity you do.  If you
> frequently rollback inserts, vacuum seems to take longer.  Say, a database
> with 1m records which endures 5m inserts + rollback is going to take a
> while to vacuum.

As another data point, daily vacuums on our database take 25 to 30 minutes.
This is on a dual PIII 933Mhz with 2GB RAM and the database is on a 4 Drive
RAID 10 array (stripe + mirror) of 15K RPM SCSI drives.  Our database is
9GB.  I don't really have a good estimate as to the number of insertions and
updates that occur daily.  I have some mass updates that I hold until the
weekend. PostgreSQL is 7.03.  I see vacuum downtime as the number 1 drawback
to PostgreSQL.