Re: BLOB performance test FYI - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Marin Dimitrov
Subject Re: BLOB performance test FYI
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Lane"

> "Marin Dimitrov" <marin.dimitrov@sirma.bg> writes:
> > the docs do not mention that storing even a 500KB of binary data is 40
times
> > slower with byte when compared to LO
>
> Probably because that hasn't been the experience of other people ;-)
>
> Could we see your test case?

it wasn't my test case - it was published in a mail from Joe Shevland
yesterday (the beginning of this thread)

The test I've personally tried was comparing Postgres BYTEA performance and
Oracle BLOB performance (both servers reside on the same machine) and the
results showed that postgres is 7 times slower for 128KB file, 17 times
slower for 500KB and 22 times slower for 1MB , i.e. the performance degrades
with the growth of the file size

also my test showed results about memory consumption similar to the ones
reported by Joe - the client JDBC application used 10 times more memory for
sending the binary data to Postgres when compared to Oracle

    Marin

----
"...what you brought from your past, is of no use in your present. When
you must choose a new path, do not bring old experiences with you.
Those who strike out afresh, but who attempt to retain a little of the
old life, end up torn apart by their own memories. "