R: Problem with stored procedure and nested transactions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject R: Problem with stored procedure and nested transactions
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks, I had already read it.
What I cannot find is how to get the behavior I described, is there a way?

Paolo Pierotti

Viale Lombardia, 4 Lodi (LO)
M: +39 328 9035851
P: +39 075 8556435
W: www.mmbb.it

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>
Inviato: martedì 30 ottobre 2018 15:06
A: p.pierotti@mmbb.it; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Oggetto: Re: Problem with stored procedure and nested transactions

On 10/30/18 7:03 AM, p.pierotti@mmbb.it wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have problems with stored procedures introduced in version 11.
>
> I do not understand how to create a nested transaction, in this
> semplified example:
>
> *create**or**replace**procedure*tst_prc(*inout*p_cod *text*)
> *language*plpgsql *as**$procedure$*
>
> *begin*
>
> p_cod := 'a';
>
> *begin*
>
> *update*aziende *set*mail = 'asd@asd.asd'*where*id = 11; --1st update
>
> *begin*
>
> *update*aziende *set*telefono = '0123456789'*where*id = 11; --2nd
> update
>
> *commit*;
>
> *raise**notice*'Inner';
>
> *end*;
>
> *update*aziende *set*telefono = '089'*where*id = 11; --3rd update
>
> --commit;
>
> *rollback*;
>
> *raise**notice*'Outer';
>
> *end*;
>
> p_cod := 'b';
>
> *end*;
>
> *$procedure$*
>
> The third update goes, rightly, in rollback; the problem is that the
> first 2 are committed.
>
> I thought that the “BEGIN/END” block was used to create new
> transactions and that each of them could be managed individually.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/plpgsql-structure.html

"It is important not to confuse the use of BEGIN/END for grouping statements
in PL/pgSQL with the similarly-named SQL commands for transaction control.
PL/pgSQL's BEGIN/END are only for grouping; they do not start or end a
transaction. See Section 43.8 for information on managing transactions in
PL/pgSQL. Also, a block containing an EXCEPTION clause effectively forms a
subtransaction that can be rolled back without affecting the outer
transaction. For more about that see "

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com