Re: Turning off transactions completely. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arsalan Zaidi
Subject Re: Turning off transactions completely.
Date
Re: Turning off transactions completely.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
> Well, every statement must be within a transaction, so to reduce the
number
> of transactions start one explicitly and commit when you're done. Then you
> only have one transaction for the whole thing.

I already do this. However, I don't want *any* transactions at all. I don't
care if I lose data in the middle of, say an update. The nature of the app
is such, that that data can be reconstructed.

However, as it currently stands, the app takes around 30 hrs to finish it's
run. I wish to reduce that to 24hr or less.

I found a comment from 1999 where someone asked a similiar Q and Mimijian
responded that that was not possible in pg. Is that still true? Can it be
easily changed in the code?

--Arsalan.