Re: Maintenance release - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Serguei Mokhov
Subject Re: Maintenance release
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
Sent: October 14, 2003 11:07 AM

> > > OK, tarballs for Slackware, Windows and Source are on Snake.
> > >
> > > Lemme know if anything isn't right.
> >
> > What's wrong in having a Windows 9x release of pgAdmin?
>
> Windows 9x doesn't have the Unicode support we require, and we figured
> that most ppl are on Win2k by now. You are the first person to have
> brought it up!

Oh, really? :| Cuz quite a few users still use Windows 98.
(Yet very small fraction of them use PG and the admin tools; out of which
phpPgAdmin dominates...)

> It is (might be was) possible to compile pgAdmin for 9x, but it's yet
> another port to maintain. Do you desperately need it?

I'd love to have it for a couple of my 98 boxes. I did try to compile
it with Visual C++ on my Win98 SE a couple of months back. Originally, it did not.
The first reason was UNIX EOLs for VC++ project and workspace files... Then I had
issues with compiling and linking to wxWindows... and then I didn't have
time. Though my compiling and linking problems existed because I used not your
version of wxWindows, but the one from their website. Only after I realized
that you had your proper patches for it.

> > Sorry for jumping in, especially if this has been discussed before...
>
> Feel free to jump in, otherwise we wouldn't know what ppl want :-)

Thanks :)

> Regards, Dave.

-s