Re: More Red Hat information - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bryan White
Subject Re: More Red Hat information
Date
List pgsql-general
> M$ is a good example, as their database is quite capable, and costs only a
> few hundred bucks (last time I looked). If RedHat DB is three times the
> price, IME many PHBs will go with SQL Server, instead, just because it's
> cheaper, and they know the Microsoft name (and FUD).

FYI: Current SQL Server 2000 Prices on Output.com

 $4,800 Std. Ed. (1 Processor License)
 $2,119 Std. Ed. (10 Device Licenses)
   $859 Ent. Ed. (10 Clients) Academic Version
 $6,100 Ent. Ed. (25 Clients) Academic Version
 $1,429 Std. Ed. (5 Device Licenses)
   $709 Std. Ed. (5 Device Licenses) Competitive/Version Upgrade
$10,660 Ent. Ed. (25 Device Licenses)
$19,250 Ent. Ed. (Upgrade With 1 Processor License)

I have no idea what a "Device License" is but it looks like the cheapest
route (excluding accedemic and upgrade versions) is $1429.  That problably
does not include much in the way of support, only runs on Win2K which will
cost you a few hundred dollars more and if your site is of any size the 5
device limit may be a problem.