Re: Counting records in a child table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Counting records in a child table
Date
List pgsql-general
An alternative:

SELECT
parent.*,
COALESCE(child.childcount, 0) AS whatever
FROM parent
LEFT JOIN
(SELECT parentid, count(*) as childcount FROM child GROUP BY parented) child
ON (parent.id = child.parentid)

You could also do:
SELECT parent.*,
COALESCE((SELECT count(*) FROM child WHERE child.id = parent.id),0) AS
childcount --coalesce may not be necessary....
FROM parent

Window Functions can also give appropriate results.

I am not positive whether COUNT(*) excludes NULL during its count but a
quick documentation search or just trying it will tell you that.

David J.