Re: Full-text Indexing and Primary Keys - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris Ruprecht
Subject Re: Full-text Indexing and Primary Keys
Date
List pgsql-sql
Josh,

Full Text Indexing

It will allow you to store text into a database and find portions of this
text again, based on a few words of the text in the record.
Say, for example, you want to store the bible in a PostGres database. You
will store these fields:
1. Book
2. Chapter
3. Verse
4. Verse text

If you know your bible, you probably can find any passage by just going to
book/chapter/verse directly. But if you're not, and you just want to find
all verses, where "Nathan", "Solomon" and "mother" is mentioned, you need
something which lets you do that - and fast.

What you want is something which does:
select verse_text from bible where verse_text contains 'Nathan & Solomon &
mother';

or even:
select verse_text from bible where verse_text contains 'Nath* & Solo* &
moth*';

This would be similar to "find file on hard drive by content" - which, if
not indexed, takes forever.

Hope this makes the issue a little more clear.

Best regards,
Chris