Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simone Aiken
Subject Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>
wrote:
>> Excerpts from Simone Aiken's message of dom ene 16 02:11:26 -0300 2011:
>>>
>> >Hello Postgres Hackers,
>>>
>> >In reference to this todo item about clustering system table indexes,
>>> ( http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-05/msg00989.php )
>>
>> Wow, this is really old stuff.  I don't know if this is really of any
>
>If we can't, that might mean it's time to remove this TODO.

When I'm learning a new system I like to first learn how to use it,
second learn its data model, third start seriously looking at the code.
So that Todo is ideal for my learning method.

If there is something else that would also involve studying all the system
tables it would also be great.  For example, I noticed we have column
level comments on the web but not in the database itself.  This seems
silly.  Why not have the comments in the database and have the web
query the tables of template databases for the given versions?

That way \d+ pg_tablename would provide instant gratification for users.
And we all like our gratification to be instant.  They could be worked into
The .h files though as inserts to pg_description they wouldn't provide an
excuse to learn bison.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

-Simone Aiken