Re: Move database from Solaris to Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Barry C Dowell
Subject Re: Move database from Solaris to Windows
Date
List pgsql-general
Following up on this issue --

I found resolution to the problems that I was having, with one error
remaining when I work on the database restore (somewhat expected error
really, and one I no longer need any assistance with).

The initial problems I was having were from running pg_dump on the Solaris
system and then transferring the dump file over to the Windows system and
trying to restore using that file.

First, there was the issue of me not running the pg_dump using the --clean
option.  That resulted in attempts to make duplicate keys, etc.  Again, to
be expected, and just a parameter issue in the usage caused by my own
inexperience with the software.

Second, the bigger problem, and the one that caused me a lot more grief to
begin with is that in moving the file from Solaris to Windows some munging
of the file was happening with extra characters included in the file that
were confusing psql.

The ultimate solution was to make use of the pg_dump command on the Windows
box when pointing to the Solaris host.  I had to use the --host option to
tell the Windows pg_dump command where to find the database on the Solaris
host, but once done, pg_dump created a good copy of the dump.  Adding
--clean on top gave me a dump with the commands to clean/out the database
first, and that elminated a lot of extra error messages and warnings that
were coming up.

I want to say thanks to the folks that have developed the various utilities,
but a special thanks to the folks that have put so much effort into the
online documentation.  It is clean, clear, concise and offers enough
examples that just about anyone should be able to help themselves to a
solution.

I also would like to say thanks to the people that answered my original
posting for their tips and suggestions.  It did help to get me info on the
database encoding (confirmed it was the same on both sides) and helped me
trouble shoot things that much more.

Best of luck to everyone in the list as I get ready to sign off for a while
and quiet down my e-mail traffic some.  Hopefully later I'll get a chance to
participate more.

Bcd