Re: Errors attempting to insert duplicate values - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bryan White
Subject Re: Errors attempting to insert duplicate values
Date
List pgsql-general

> Bryan White wrote:
> >
> > I have a table with a unique index.  When I go to insert a new value
into
> > the table my code does not know if the record is already there.  To me
there
> > are two choices:
> >
> > 1) Do a select for the record and insert only if not found.
> >
> > 2) Do a blind insert and relay on the unique index to fail the insert if
> > there is a duplicate.
>
> 3) Use a sequence to generate unique indicies for you?

Sorry but I was not clear.  I need to insert a record only if it does not
exist.  If it does exists then I do nothing.  However I do need to know if
it was inserted.  Its seems most efficient to just attempt the insert and
look at the result.  My only complaint is the log file is littered the error
messages about attempting to insert a duplicate.